After having dinner with some girlfriends last week I was reminded that what we put in our bodies is important and learning about food matters. I mean, will I ever get my fiancee to eat organic, natural popcorn with nothing but a little bit of pepper on it? Or grow an abundance of vegetables, cook dozens of meals, and freeze them to eat throughout the winter? Probably not (Aly, you and Pete are the type of people we aspire to be!) but there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be aware that packaged shredded cheese has saw dust in it. YES. Saw dust. Gross. Apparently the saw dust acts as a preservative (FYI it’s a very small amount, but still!). Needless to say, we’ll be shredding our own cheese from here on out, hence the Cabot cheddar cheese block visible center of cart.
Okay, so I think a good starting point is to take a look and see what I like and don’t like about this past grocery shopping trip…
– Starbucks coffee 😀 That has nothing to do with my selected groceries but I just love a good Starbucks coffee, especially when it has a pump or two of pumpkin syrup!
– I like the Fiber One bread. A slice is 50 calories, it’s multigrain and it’s the perfect size for a lunch time sandwich.
– Hard to see but there’s a bag of ginger snaps in there (left hand side, next to popcorn). I like my sweets and ginger snappers seem to be a semi healthy way to get a quick fix.
– Everything in the back of the cart: Bananas, Seltzer, eggs, Yogi Tea, lettuce, etc.
– I take that back. The back of the cart items would be perfect if it weren’t for those two Celeste frozen pizzas… $1.50 each, it was a bargain! Can you blame me for grabbing them?
– Ice cream. Coconut ice cream for that matter – who buys that crap? Oh, we do. And then add jimmies.
I could stop there but I should confess there’s one other item in this cart that is a big no-no. You can’t see it in this pic but it’s there and it’s UGLY. Any guesses?
FLUFF. And not the small size of fluff, the big one. I mean, what’s the point of getting healthy bread if you’re going to spread FLUFF on top?! On the flip-side, who doesn’t love a good fluff’nutter every once and a while… 😀
Eat clean food. This is going to be our new family mantra. Wish us luck!
2 thoughts on “Grocery Shopping: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!”
Thanks for supporting our farm family owners by buying Cabot! ~ Wendy / Cabot Cheese
Wow, I am super impressed by Cabot right now! Being in the business of social media and online marketing, I know what works and what doesn't – this works. Considering the small amount of traffic my blog gets, the fact that Cabot found my post and then went a step further and commented… well, kudos to you and you've just gained a lifelong customer! 🙂 I will be posting next week about the difference between American cheese and Cheddar cheese – I learned the difference this past week and was just slightly disturbed by what's in American. Ew!